Please Hold in the Light
June 5, 2013
Marshall Ross Vidrine, member of Baton Rouge Friends Meeting, died following a long illness on May 4, 2013 at the Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Center in Winston Salem, North Carolina. There will be a memorial meeting followed by a reception and second line on Saturday, June 29th, in Baton Rouge at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government Street at 2pm. Friends are invited to join Marty Vidrine and others from Marshall's home meeting as his life is celebrated and remembered. If you are unable to join us but have memories to share, please send them to us at timefactory(which is at)att.net and we'll read them during the memorial worship. Condolences can be mailed to Marty Vidrine, 24985 Merchant Rd., Denham Springs, LA 70726.
May 28, 2013
After checking around by phone with Friends in Oklahoma who might have been affected by the tornadoes, we are happy to report that no members, attenders or property of Friends seem to have suffered damage but all Friends are asked to hold in the Light the many who were affected.
2013 South Central Yearly Meeting Sessions28-31 March 2013 ~ Greene Family Camp ~ Bruceville Texas
Lead Kindly Light: Being Faithful
Greetings to Friends Everywhere,
One hundred fifty-six Friends from Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas met at Greene Family Camp in Bruceville, Texas to share in the workings of the Spirit. For the second year, we explored the Quaker testimonies. Last year we came to understand how the testimonies flow from a person’s relationship with the Divine. This year we examined the ways in which the testimonies are revealed through our lives, drawing on the experiences of SCYM Friends... (read the complete 2013 SCYM Epistle)
Gray Cox's Keynote: Sharing the Spiritual Commons in a Culture of Peace and a Political Economy of Democratic Stewardship
I would like to share reflections on two great challenges I think we face in trying to live out the Quaker testimonies and some practical responses. The first challenge is to transform the dominant culture of conflict into a culture of peace. The second is to transform our political economy from a plutocratic national security state seeking ever more GNP into a human development driven democracy practicing ever better stewardship of the commons... (read the complete Keynote)
Documents Accepted and Approved at 2013 SCYM Sessions
- 2013 Nominating Report: list of Friends serving on committees, officers and those appointed to represent SCYM in other organizations
- Procedures Handbook Draft #4
- Faith and Practice Committee's Working Document #1: Topics
- 2013 Friends Committee on National Legislation Representative Report
- 2013 Publications Committee Report
- 2013 Faith and Practice Development Committee Report
- 2013 Friends General Conference Representative Report
- 2013 Ministry and Care Report
- 2013 Friends Peace Teams Representative Report
- 2013 FGC New Meetings Consultation Report
2013 Directory of SCYM FriendsThe 2013 version can be viewed in two formats, Directory 2013 by alphabet and Directory 2013 by monthly meeting. A limited number of print copies will be available at 2013 SCYM Sessions. Please check with those in your meeting who may not have access to the web to arrange to provide them with a print copy. You can also view individual records using the SCYM Directory Lookup.
News of SCYM Friends
- Lon Burnam, State Representative to the Texas House and member of Fort Worth Monthly Meeting filed Bill #1300, Providing for the Freedom to Marry in Texas as a Valentine gift to all Texans. “Marriage has been the greatest and most rewarding experience of my life,” said Lon Burnam. “Continuing to deny all Texans the freedom to marry robs them of that experience and is detrimental to their families." Read all about it at Equality Texas. Lon, Friends in Texas thank you for speaking truth to power.
- Hill Country Meeting approved an Epistle on Inclusion and Equality in July of 2012.
2012 Representative MeetingRepresentative Meeting took place December 7-9, 2012.
- Representative Meeting 2012 (minutes with attachments).
- Procedures Manual Draft #3
- Revised Publications Committee Report
You need a members account to access any SCYM document that has personal information or other materials that need some security. You can get a login or be reminded of your login here.
- Archiving SCYM Monthly Meeting Materials at Swarthmore
- Gathering Your Monthly Meeting’s History
- South Central Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends Approves Minute on Mistreatment of Prisoners