News of Friends in Flooded Areas
May 31, 2015
You must be anxious to hear how Friends are doing in the areas recently stricken by flood and tornado. Cathy Guttentag sends us an update on members of Houston Liveoak Meeting and others in their community. If you have news to share, please click here to contact SCYM.
From Cathy Guttentag in Houston - May 28
I am still checking in with Friends here, and thus far many of us are fine but we have had at least one serious tragedy - the son-in-law of one of our longtime members, Leslie Cauffman, was killed in the flooding. His name is Christopher Kirby and his story has been reported in the news/internet. He leaves a wife and 2 children among other family members. We are deeply saddened by this terrible loss.
Laura Holliday's home was flooded, and I corresponded with her today - she has no phone or internet at home but was able to email me somehow. I am not sure how bad the damage is, it was a brief email exchange.
Another family, the Dixon family, also had flood damage to their home. They say they are able to stay in it while working on cleanup and drying out.
Those are the losses I have heard about thus far.
The area around my daughter's elementary school was hit very hard with flooding, so I know a number of other families who sustained flooding to their homes. It makes me heartsick each time I drive along a whole street of homes where everyone's carpets and mattresses and ruined furniture are out by the street for trash pickup.
It's been a long week, all the more so as this was Leah Mei's last week of school and she had her graduation from 5th grade/elementary school last night, so it's been quite an emotional time.
Documents for 2015 SCYM Sessions
- 2014 SCYM Representative Meeting Proceedings
- 2013-2014 SCYM Proceedings (including minutes and materials for 2013 Representative Meeting and 2014 Yearly Meeting Sessions)
- 2015 Procedures Manual (March)
- 2015 Monthly Meeting and Worship Group State of the Meeting Reports
2015 Directory of SCYM FriendsThe 2015 version can be viewed in two formats, Directory 2015 by alphabet and Directory 2015 by monthly meeting. A limited number of print copies will be available at 2015 SCYM Sessions. Please check with those in your meeting who may not have access to the web to arrange to provide them with a print copy. You can also view individual records using the SCYM Directory Lookup.
Faith & Practice Development CommitteeThe Faith & Practice Development Committee is hard at work facilitating the work of SCYM Friends creating our own Faith & Practice. You can view their reports and other materials on the Faith & Practice Page.
Please address comments and suggestions on the Working Document to the Faith & Practice Development Committee at email@example.com.
2014 Representative Meeting
5-7 December 2014 ~ Greene Family Camp
Documents for 2014 Representative Meeting Sessions
Documents presented and accepted of approved at 2014 SCYM Sessions
- 2014 Nominating Committee Report
- 2014 Finance Committee Report
- 2014 Faith and Practice Development Committee Report
- 2014 Traveling Ministristries Report
- 2014 Yearly Meeting Registrar's Report
- 2014 SCYM State of Society Report
- 2014 Friends Peace Teams Report
- 2014 Youth Program Support Committee Report
- 2014 Peace and Justice Committee Report
- 2014 Procedures Manual Report
- 2014 Report from FWCC Consultation
- 2014 Texas Conference of Churches Report
- 2014 Publications Committee Report
- 2014 FCNL Representatives Report (from General Committee, 11/2013)
You need a members account to access any SCYM document that has personal information or other materials that need some security. You can get a login or be reminded of your login here.
- Archiving SCYM Monthly Meeting Materials at Swarthmore
- Gathering Your Monthly Meeting's History
- South Central Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends Approves Minute on Mistreatment of Prisoners