2014 South Central Yearly Meeting Sessions
17-20 April 2014 ~ Greene Family Camp, Bruceville TX
Am I My Sisters’ and Brothers’ Keeper?:
Quaker Response to Mass Incarceration
The adult program for 2014 SCYM sessions has been planned to help individuals and meetings share our experiences and explore such probing questions as:
- How well do I understand the incarceration policies that prevail in my community today?
- What is the depth of my concern for my incarcerated sisters and brothers?
- What am I doing with regard to my concern for those incarcerated?
- Am I engaged in the most meaningful actions? What more can I do?
Basic information about 2014 Sessions: Yearly Meeting Sessions Page.For more information read the 2014 Yearly Meeting News.
(Starting Tuesday, 1 April 2014, a $15 late fee will be assessed per registration. Please recognize this as our attempt to provide better service for all attenders. Housing is assigned as registrations are received. If you register late, your preferred housing may not be available.)
Information about the program from the AR/OK Quarterly Adult Program Committee to be read before SCYM Sessions:
Documents in Advance for 2014 SCYM Sessions
2014 Directory of SCYM FriendsThe 2014 version can be viewed in two formats, Directory 2014 by alphabet and Directory 2014 by monthly meeting. A limited number of print copies will be available at 2013 SCYM Sessions. Please check with those in your meeting who may not have access to the web to arrange to provide them with a print copy. You can also view individual records using the SCYM Directory Lookup.
2013 Representative Meeting
22-24 November 2013 ~ Greene Family Camp
Reports presented and accepted at this meeting:
- 2013 Treasurer's Report to RM
- 2013 Cielo Grande Quarterly Meeting Report to RM
- 2013 Arkansas/Oklahoma Quarterly Meeting Report to RM
- 2013 Bayou Quarterly Meeting Report to RM
- 2013 Youth Program Support Committee Report to RM
- 2013 Publications/Communications Report to RM
- 2013 Proposal to Change SCYM's Fiscal Year Report to RM
- 2013 Finance Committee Report to RM
- Faith and Practice Working Document #2: Topics
- Faith and Practice Committee Minutes and Report to 2013 RM
- 2013 Nominating Committee Report to RM
- 2013 FGC Report to RM
More will be posted here soon.
Report on Intervisitation From Marianne LockardI am having a most wonderful time visiting our smaller meetings and isolated Friends... see more
Gathering of Southern FriendsA retreat center just north of Jackson, MS has been reserved for the weekend of November 15, 16 & 17. To see more and register go to Pam Arnold's article..
2013 South Central Yearly Meeting Sessions28-31 March 2013 ~ Greene Family Camp ~ Bruceville Texas
Lead Kindly Light: Being Faithful
Greetings to Friends Everywhere,
One hundred fifty-six Friends from Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas met at Greene Family Camp in Bruceville, Texas to share in the workings of the Spirit. For the second year, we explored the Quaker testimonies. Last year we came to understand how the testimonies flow from a person’s relationship with the Divine. This year we examined the ways in which the testimonies are revealed through our lives, drawing on the experiences of SCYM Friends... (read the complete 2013 SCYM Epistle)
Gray Cox's Keynote: Sharing the Spiritual Commons in a Culture of Peace and a Political Economy of Democratic Stewardship
I would like to share reflections on two great challenges I think we face in trying to live out the Quaker testimonies and some practical responses. The first challenge is to transform the dominant culture of conflict into a culture of peace. The second is to transform our political economy from a plutocratic national security state seeking ever more GNP into a human development driven democracy practicing ever better stewardship of the commons... (read the complete Keynote)
Documents Accepted and Approved at 2013 SCYM Sessions
- 2013 Nominating Report: list of Friends serving on committees, officers and those appointed to represent SCYM in other organizations
- Procedures Handbook Draft #4
- Faith and Practice Committee's Working Document #1: Topics
- 2013 Friends Committee on National Legislation Representative Report
- 2013 Publications Committee Report
- 2013 Faith and Practice Development Committee Report
- 2013 Friends General Conference Representative Report
- 2013 Ministry and Care Report
- 2013 Friends Peace Teams Representative Report
- 2013 FGC New Meetings Consultation Report
2013 Directory of SCYM FriendsThe 2013 version can be viewed in two formats, Directory 2013 by alphabet and Directory 2013 by monthly meeting. A limited number of print copies will be available at 2013 SCYM Sessions. Please check with those in your meeting who may not have access to the web to arrange to provide them with a print copy. You can also view individual records using the SCYM Directory Lookup.
News of SCYM Friends
- Hill Country Meeting approved an Epistle on Inclusion and Equality in July of 2012.
2012 Representative MeetingRepresentative Meeting took place December 7-9, 2012.
- Representative Meeting 2012 (minutes with attachments).
- Procedures Manual Draft #3
- Revised Publications Committee Report
You need a members account to access any SCYM document that has personal information or other materials that need some security. You can get a login or be reminded of your login here.
- Archiving SCYM Monthly Meeting Materials at Swarthmore
- Gathering Your Monthly Meeting’s History
- South Central Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends Approves Minute on Mistreatment of Prisoners